Wednesday, January 12, 2011

BASTARD!!!

I'm a few days late writing this but that's how it goes sometimes. It's okay though, because it would be just as relevant a year from now.

I'm writing because Juan Piquer Simon, director of cult classics such as Pieces and Slugs has passed away at the age of 75.

I wish I could say I've seen more of Simon's filmography than the two listed but I haven't. However you'll be hard pressed to find a director of any film that can make movies as fun to watch as Pieces and Slugs. He also has an uncredited director role and was a producer on a previous CT review, Satan's Blood!

I won't claim to be an expert on the man, I've seen 2 films from him along with Satan's Blood which he was a producer and I have no idea how much he could take credit for as a director. J.P. Simon will live on because he knew the kinds of films he loved and he made. He knew that critics didn't care for horror or fantasy movies, the movies he made and how he made them. He took a fun approach to these movies and made them entertaining throughout. Watching Pieces while enjoying a 6-pack is something few other movies can replicate.

Nothing will ever change that.

Rest In Peace Juan Piquer Simon, your style and approach is admired.

2 comments:

MTaM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MTaM said...

"Pieces" and "Slugs" are two movies I'm glad to have seen because they are definitely cult classics (like you mentioned), especially "Pieces".

R.I.P. Juan Piquer Simon