Wednesday, October 10, 2018

October Horror Challenge 2018 Day 8


INCARNATE is one that I really had no interest in watching. It came out a couple years ago and looked like a particularly bad Exorcist ripoff. While it does have some of that in there it takes the whole possession/exorcism angle in a different direction, one I didn't really know what to do with and in a way I'm not sure the filmmakers did either but Aaron Eckhart turns in a capable performance and there's enough "what the fuck" going on in it that it was a surprisingly entertaining viewing for me. It's nothing I'll ever need to sit down and watch again but this wasn't 13% on Rotten Tomatoes level bad.


I'm sort of dreading the full review I have to write for the Blu-ray release of MANDY because I think the less you know going in on your first time viewing the better this movie is going to be and I don't want to spoil that experience for anyone but I do want to sell them on a film I think is great. I had virtually no frame of reference as to what to expect going in except for I had seen an explosion of fandom for something called a "cheddar goblin" and an associated picture. That was it. I'm glad I went in blind because seeing MANDY without knowing what to expect isn't going to be something that you'll be able to duplicate on repeated viewings which I'm sure will prove to be equally entertaining and fulfilling but they'll be different than the first time. I really love almost everything about this one. 

Today's Rundown
Incarnate - 5/10
Mandy - 8.5/10

No comments: